lørdag 22. oktober 2011

Last day


Saturday 14/10-2011

NB! This is a fictional blog. I have not been to Kenya, and everything I write are based on facts I have read. The pictures are also not mine, but borrowed from the internet. (source under every picture) I also have a list of sources I have used at the bottom of this entry.
Hello!
This is going to be my last entry here from Kenya. My flight leaves tomorrow. I do NOT want to go home! To distract myself from packing (once again) I decided that I would write and update you about my last days here in Kenya. I am, as you may remember, in Mombasa at the moment. Mombasa is Kenya`s second largest city with a population of almost one million people.
 

These last few days of my trip I have basically been around sightseeing and just relaxed on the beach you can see in the picture above. The other picture is from something called Moi avenue. There is not really much more to share from my stay here other that it is a very beautiful place which I recommend travelers to visit. I figured since this is my last day and the last words I am going to write from Kenya I will write some history from Kenya and also a bit about Mombasa.

When the first Europeans (Portuguese people) arrived in Kenya, Mombasa was one of the first cities they came to. They controlled the coastline from Mombasa to another Kenyan city by the coast, Malindi, but were not able to control the inner part of Kenya.
In 1895 the whole country of Kenya became a British colony and belonged to something called the British East Africa which roughly covers the area of Kenya today.
In 1952 there was a protest against the British government. This was called the Mau Mau uprising and lasted until 1956. This eventually ended in Kenya`s independence in 1963 even though the Mau Mau group (which was the Kenyan group) actually lost the conflict.  


Here are two maps of Kenya so you can actually see where I have been. As you can see Kenya is a country at the east coast of Africa. Kenya has a total population of around 40 million people if anybody wondered. At the maps above you can see where Nairobi and Mombasa is located. For your information Masai Mara is located south-west of Nairobi by the boarder of Tanzania.
I think I will wrap the whole thing up with an explanation of the flag of Kenya.


This flag was adopted at the same year that Kenya declared its independence in 1963. The black colour symbolizes that the majority of the population is black. The green colour symbolizes land. The small white stripes symbolizes freedom and the red colour symbolizes the blood lost in the struggle for it. The shield symbolizes defense of all the other things the flag symbolizes.

This has been a really inspiring trip! I really do not want to go home to cold Norway, but I guess I have to. So long readers!

Sources:

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar