tirsdag 18. oktober 2011

Goodbye, Wangari!



Sunday 9/10-2011
NB! This is (still) a fictional blog. I have not been to Kenya, and everything I write are based on facts I have read. (The funeral I am going to write about is a real event that happened though, I just was not attending it).The incidents that i refer to at towards the end has also happened. The pictures are also not mine, but borrowed from the internet. (Source under every picture). I also have a list of sources I have used to find my information at the bottom of this entry.
Hello again!
I am still here in my flat in Nairobbery (just love the nickname) although I have to start packing soon. I am leaving Nairobi today to go to Masai Mara to watch animals in their real surroundings (popularly called safari). You remember right?
Anyway, I did not write anything yesterday so I figured I could keep everybody updated before I leave the city. I promised you I would attend a funeral and I did. I have never been to a funeral of a person I did not know before (I have hardly been to any funerals at all for that matter) but I figured I would attend this one.  The woman who was buried this Saturday was called Wangari Maathai. She is a strong and very admirable person and when I heard that she was to be buried in Nairobi while I was here, I wanted to farewell to her.
DØD: Nobles fredsprisvinner Wangari Maathai tapte kampen mot kreften. Her er Maathai utenfor Grand Hotel i Oslo før utdelingen av Nobels fredspris i 2004. Foto: Helge Mikalsen

The picture above shows Maathai in Oslo just before she recieved the peace prize in 2004.
It turns out Maathai was actually the first African woman to ever achieve the Nobel Peace prize. She got it in 2004 for “her contribution to sustainable development, democracy and peace”. Maathai was born in Nyeri, Kenya in 1940 and she died here in Nairobi the 25th of September this year of complications from cancer. Maathai was a very strong woman with many opinions.  She stood up against what was considered as the oppressive regime of Kenya under Daniel arap Moi, Kenya’s former president. Maathai has also achieved a lot of other prices for her work.

In addition to fighting for democracy in Kenya, she also fought for the environment. In 1977 she formed something called “the Green Belt movement”, an environmental organization. It focuses on Kenya (and especially women). It encourages them to, among other things, plant trees, stop soil erosion and also fight deforestation. This organization has alone planted around 45 million trees! That is impressive! Actually the whole woman is impressive and apparently I am not the only one who thinks that. There were thousands of people who had come to say goodbye to her. I did not actually go into the church, it was full long before I got there. I watched from the street as they drove her coffin in the car and buried her in a park she had fought to save. I am going to post some video-footage from BBC in case you want to watch some of the funeral and maybe learn some more about Maathai.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15228649

After the funeral I took a taxi to the Norwegian embassy in Kenya which you can see on the picture under (bad quality, sorry about that). I visited a friend of my mum who works there. When someone you know is in a place like Nairobi at the same time as you, you kind of feel like you have to meet up with that person, right? It was really cool meeting a fellow Norwegian again! Nairobi and Kenya is not exactly the type of destination where there are Norwegians and Sweeds lurking around every corner so I had not really heard the Norwegian language in a while.

Just one more thing before I have to start packing for safari (have delayed it for over an hour now). You should know that while I am being here in Kenya, I am being extremely careful where I go and always have somebody with me. Recently there have been several incidents where people have been kidnapped here in Kenya and I have to keep that in mind. I mean, when they are capable of taking a French elderly woman in a wheelchair, you cannot really feel sure that they will spare you. I too have to take the famine in Somalia, a country which is neighboring Kenya, into consideration. There are a lot of people traveling over the board. I just thought I should let you know that I am being really careful.

But anyway, stay tuned! My next entry will be written from Masai Mara, the safari-camp!

Sources:

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar